Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Design History 101: chairs then and now

When I go to furniture stores with my friends I often tell them that much of the furniture they see are only replicas of pieces made over 30-50 years ago. They often laugh at me, but I'm about to prove it! If you think that all today's furniture is new...think again. Just take a look at these chairs. You may have seen many of them in local stores, television, and ads.

Then
Armchair 406 by Alvar Alto, 1939


Now
Poang Chair sold at IKEA, 2011



Then
Pony Chair by Eero Aaino, 1973 (one of my favorites)


Now
Photo courtesy of Interior Design Magazine, 2011


Then
Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman by Charles and Ray Eames, 1956


Now
The Eames Lounge Chair is featured on the set of House,...

...Cougar Town,...

...and Frasier.
(As you can see, the Eames Lounge chair is quite popular!)


Then

Series 7 Side Chair by Arne Jacobson, 1955

Now
"Trendy Design Chair" sold at Target, 2011



Then
Nelson Swag Leg Chair by George Nelson, 1958


Now

"Acrylic Rumor Chair" sold at Target, 2011



Then

Swan Chair by Arne Jacobson, 1958


Now
"Acrylic Dining Chair" sold at Target, 2011


Then

Bertoia Diamond Chair by Harry Bertoia, 1952


Now
The Bertoia Diamond Chair featured in the Darby Lane House by Deborah Berke & Partners Architects LLC.


Then
Eames Molded Dining Chair by Charles & Ray Eames, 1946

Now
The Eames Molded Dining Chairs featured in the Darby Lane House by Deborah Berke & Partners Architects LLC.



Then
Louis Ghost (aka Ghost Chair) by Philippe Starck, 2002 (also one of my favorites)


Now
"Gamma Arm Chair" sold at Target, 2011
(Now, the Ghost Chair was not made 50 years ago, but it's one of my favorite chairs. I couldn't resist.)


End Note:
Writing this post was a lot of fun. I hope that it helped you to understand that furniture made over 50 years ago is still popular now. In supermarkets today, replicas of famous furniture is seen everywhere and is unrecognized by many.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against buying replicas. The reason that stores such as IKEA exist is to make famous furniture pieces available to the average consumer. If you have a love for modern furniture, but you have a tight budget, check out places such as IKEA, Target, local thrift stores, Craigslist, or Facebook. I am positive that you will find something great!






















2 comments:

  1. Great post Kuniko! I notice the same things about furniture. Its fun to see the old and new back to back!

    ReplyDelete